Friday, June 3, 2011

A Writer's Life

What do I want? I want a writer's life.


I want to wake up every morning and find inspiration from all that is around me. It may come from places I never expected - that is often the best way to get it.  It may come from spending time with my children or reading and learning something new.


I want to take that inspiration and turn it into something that will make a difference to others.


I want to start every day by writing a blog post that is meaningful without the dreaded writer's block standing in my way.


I want to write without fear of what people might think of me.


I want to write for others to help them meet their professional or personal goals.


I want to write about interesting people. I want to learn about their contributions to the world and their outlook on life.  I want to present them with a piece that they will love and share with their friends and family.


Someday, I want to walk to my mailbox and find a check made payable to me for my writing talents as a freelancer.


I want to write stories about my childhood so that others may learn from my best efforts and my worst mistakes.


Instead of scrapbooking, I want to write a book about each of my kids documenting their lives.  I suck at scrapbooking. :)


I want to tackle my writing bucket list which includes my daily journal, an e-book, and blog posts about my fondest memories and the Billy Joel songs that remind me of them.


I want to write so that people know the real me.


I want to pursue my dream of becoming a writer that I've had since I wrote my first story in the 4th grade.


What do I want? I want a writer's life.


Dear TRDC friends...This prompt has inspired me to create another blog that is dedicated to my journey as a writer.  I don't want to answer this prompt on my other blog - Kvell Corner because I'm not ready to share this passion with all of my friends just yet.  I see this as my opportunity to try out fictional pieces and writing prompts that are not ready for prime-time. 

I call this blog Left Brained & Write Handed. We store our grammar and vocabulary skills in the left side of our brains. Plus, I use both hands to type and one to write and they are both the right hands for the job! Hence the blog name "Left Brained & Write Handed."

I'd love for my TRDC friends and other close friends and family to follow my journey, bring me good concrit and support as I move into this phase of my life. Thanks!

This was written in response to a post from The Red Dress Club about what do I really want.

8 comments:

Jen said...

I want a writer's life too!! I love that you started a separate blog just for this purpose. I love that you are writing blogs instead of scrapbooking...I'm doing this also. Can't wait to read more of your posts!
I'm follower #1!! Nice to "meet" you :)

Stacey said...

Me too! I don't scrapbook either. My kids will have to be content with stories I tell them and ones I actually write down. Great post!

cfriedenberg said...

I enjoyed the post, honesty and the idea of doing something that you LOVE to do! well said.

JanetheWriter said...

Good for you! My mother -- and her mother before her -- always used to tell us, when we set out on a new adventure to "Go with the right foot!" That is what I wish for you as you embark on this worthy endeavor. We're right here, cheering you on!

P.S. I don't scrapbook, either...no patience for pinking shears, pasting or that particular brand of posterity.

Galit Breen said...

Hooray for you, your passions, and your going for it!

I am so, so very excited to follow your journey!

Also? You rocked this piece!

Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy said...

A beautiful desire! And one that I share. One day, we'll make it. Determination and persistence pay off!

Great response to the prompt! And good luck with your new writing blog. I'm stopping by from TRDC.

SUsan said...

Ditto! I have no excuse, though, because I am now retired, and I still find myself dragging my feet. My husband says, "Just pick up that pen and get busy!" Oh, if only it were that easy! You did a great job expressing your desire to write and I think you connected to so many of us. I hope it all works out for you!

Anonymous said...

learned a lot